Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Remembering people not by their name

If we are to sit back and recall all the people we know or we have met, we generally group them, based on where we met say most common group if we form would be family / friends / relative / school friends / office friends, and so on.

However, of all the groups and subgroups we form we definitely will have an untitled list where we happen to remember people not my any categories or my their names, we remember them as we happen to meet them at various point of time

My last trip back to my home was really nice and not less then a roller coaster ride, truth me if I say I got married (I guess I need not have to give nay further explanation how busy and happening it can be)

I happen to meet of have come across few people during this visit that I would be remembering them for a while (thanks to volatile nature of our memory)


Chotu (as I would name him)
We were waking down MG road (Pune), when we was stopped by a young boy barely 10 years of age, and this is why I would remember him:
Chotu: Sir main apka shoes saaf karu (Sir shall I clean your shoes)
Me: Nahi yaar (No buddy)
Chotu: Main accha saaf karoonga (I will clean it very nicely)
Me: Nahi bets chod (No please), and I tried to offer him some money.
(And that is when I got this reply in English and I was kept thinking for a while, I wish or rather we all how ever possible should help people in any form)
Chotu: No Sir, I do not beg for leaving, Pay me for my work.


Dadi Maa
(In India most old ladies are addressed as Dadi-Maa in respect)
I happen to meet this sweet woman who is strong and determined at 89 years of age. I doubt if we all would be that strong at that age.
With her age of experience, she had to offer vast amount of good will message, she was explaining how in general people have evolved and how relationship has shrunk in this fast paced life style, she names our current generation as ‘I care for myself generation’.
After all the conversation she insisted that she would prepare a cup of tea, which I was not able to decline, I will remember the sweet of the tea and the lady for long time.


Bade Bhai
It was a hour long bus journey deep interior of Kerala, that when I happen to start of a conversation in Malayalam( I am a Keralite, and mostly I only have conversation in Malayalam with my Mom and handful of relatives) I always wanted to test my Malayalam skill when i am in Kerala.
I started conversation with this people, and that’s when later I knew we both had many similarities.
- My Dad and person share similar Name.
- Twenty plus years back we lived in Pimpri (town close to Pune – India) where we lived sixteen years ago
- He worked in Pune city (I used to work in Pune City)
- He had some relatives close to my Dad’s Family home

This are the few people whom I came across while I was travelling and was on vacation, I felt that I better put them in writing before my memory fades away.


I am sure many of you can recall some incidence, which helped them to remember a person not my name, as Shakespeare quotes ‘What’s in a Name’

No comments: